Prior to deciding on the kind of storage unit, it is necessary to determine the stuff that is to be stored in the unit. Once the items are determined, you can decide about the type of storage unit to rent or buy that fits the contents. However, if all the items are going to be used often, then it is better not to tightly pack the storage space from floor to ceiling or wall-to-wall. Moreover, most people tend to opt for smaller storage spaces to save money. However, they end up emptying half of its contents. Therefore, selecting a storage unit based on your needs is advisable. In addition, the nature of the objects to be stored has to be taken into account. For instance, any items, that are temperature sensitive, would need an indoor climate-controlled unit to store away your items. If you have valuable items, then a unit with a good monitoring and security system is preferred. It is crucial to make sure that there is insurance on your storage unit. If your storage lacks insurance, then insure the storage based on your monetary needs.
Tips on Choosing the Perfect Storage Space
There are a handful of factors, which should be kept in mind when you are renting a storage facility.
1. Location: When you are renting out a storage space the first thing you have to determine is the distance to the storage unit. The storage unit has to be nearby; you should not spend an hour travelling to that place. Particularly, in case of valuable items or other document type storage materials, it is necessary to have the unit at your residence; your workspace can also be used but only if you have privacy at the office. However, if you want to store away bigger pieces of furniture it would be fine if you rent a storage space, which is far away since you need not have to access it all the time.
2. Accessibility: The purpose of the storage facility is lost if you are unable to visit it at the time of dire need. So, the storage unit has to be accessible at all times. While some units offer 24/7 services, some do not. In such situations, make a note of their available timings and plan your schedule of visit accordingly.
3. Hygiene: Cleanliness and hygiene are other important factors to consider when you are renting a storage unit. You should check how clean the storage facility is, and it should be clean enough to hold the items in the unit, particularly for objects such as official papers, will, boxes, etc. It is not uncommon to hear customers lament the state of the items in the storage space. This is so because pests such as rats and termites cause damage beyond repair. So, check the level of cleanliness by assessing the area and inquiring the manager about their cleaning services and what procedures they follow for pest control.
4. Security: You always take extra security measures at your home to keep your belongings safe. It is normal to expect the same level of security in order to wholly trust the unit that holds your belongings. So, before renting or buying the unit, inquire about its security measures, check these safety procedures by yourself, read the reviews provided by users online and then decide on the unit.
5. Customer Service: As a customer, you prefer your belongings to be safe and secure in the storage unit that you have rented. You want a sense of security and intimacy with it. This trust can only be established when there is a good rapport with the storage space offers. Hence, as stated earlier, read the reviews of the storage unit that you are hiring so that you are offered an excellent customer service.
Hope the above-mentioned tips help you in selecting a proper storage unit to stow away your valuables!