The use of pergolas goes back to couple of centuries. They are generally used to provide shades to the gateways, to provide shades to sitting areas and at the same time making sure that sun light and breeze can pass through. The pergolas don’t only offer additional comfort but at the same time adds more to the décor of your home. You can use any open space in the surrounding area of your house for pergola. There are different varieties and designs available of pergolas, which can make the exterior of your home look more attractive and beautiful. Previously, pergolas were designed to offer comfort and were meant for beautification; however, these days, the pergolas also offer protection from various elements of nature like rain, snow and scorching sunshine.
When it comes to the designs of the retractable pergola, it depends on the place where it will be used. Pergolas can be an extension of any building, a gazebo, a veranda or even an open terrace depending on the sun’s direction and area of the house. The structure and shape of the roof is one of the most important aspects which need to be taken into consideration while designing a pergola.
As far as designing a roof for pergola is concerned, it depends on the amount of direct sunlight which is available. Earlier, stone pillar and bricks were used to construct pergolas, these days, different weather resistant materials like coat redwood and red cedar are used. There can be different designs for the pergola roofs which include the followings:
- Curved roofs
- Traditional roofs
- Gabled roofs
- Pitched roofs
- Gazebo roofs
The fact that there are so many different patterns and design available makes it easier for you to choose one which would fit best in your roof.
What are the Roofing Materials used?
A wide range of different types of materials are used setting up a pergola on a roof. The materials which would be used are determined by the shape, design and the size of the structure. It is the materials selected that determines the robustness and durability of the structure. These days, the following materials are commonly used for setting up a pergola
- Metals: When it comes to metal roofs, it has an advantage, which is the fact that it can be easily adjusted to the shape and size of structure. Metals like tin or aluminum can be used. Metals come real handy if you are looking for protection from the weather hazards
- Plastics: Using plastic is another very common choice these days. One of the benefits of plastic is that they are less expensive and are light in terms of their weight. They can be easily molded into different shapes and size.
- Fabric: Fabric is as good as plastic and would be the perfect choice if you are short in terms of budget and yet looking for something stylish and attractive
- Polycarbonate: The reason why polycarbonate is one of the most common choices is due to their heat resistance capability and can be easily molded into different shapes and designs. They can prevent the harmful ultra violet rays of the sun from directly affecting you
- Fiberglass: If you are looking for colorful options, then fiberglass would be the perfect choice for you. There are a wide range of different colors and shades which are available. With sun rays falling on them, they look very attractive and creates a pleasing environment.
A pergola can make your house more attractive and beautiful and yield a lot of utilities. There can be different designs for the pergola roofs. The fact that there are so many different patterns and design available makes it easier for you to choose one which would fit best in your roof.