Spotted gum is one of Australia’s premium native hardwoods with high strength and durability. It is an ideal timber that is valued by architects for their back-sawn grain structure, attractive appearance and vibrant colours.
Spotted gum timber is the name commonly used for the four species of timber that grow along the east coast of Australia, from northeast Victoria to the northern tablelands of Queensland. These trees are straight with slender trunks and bark. They are shed in patches, giving the trees their famous spotted appearance.
What is the timber cladding?
Timber cladding is a method that is used to clad buildings or establishments to give them a beautiful and refined finish. Timber cladding is also done to protect the walls from moisture and air. It is environment-friendly and very popular among architects and builders. Other names of timber cladding are weatherboards or weatherboarding.
Types of timber cladding:
- Tapered lap timber cladding
- Notched lap
- Shiplap timber cladding
- Chamferboard timber cladding
Spotted gum timber cladding supplies:
Spotted gum timber cladding is a popular choice for finishing the exterior of commercial and domestic building. Spotted gum timber is also used for internal flooring and external decking. The spotted gum timber cladding supplies is available not in Australia but famous around the globe.
Benefits of spotted gum timber cladding supplies:
Disadvantages of spotted gum timber cladding:
- Spotted gum timber has a slightly greasy feel which makes machining and boring easy.
- Spotted gum timber cladding does not require fire retardant treatment. Can be used for construction in bushfire-prone areas.
- Spotted gum timber is used in engineering work such as bridge construction, railway sleepers and mining.
- Spotted gum timber is used in the manufacture of veneer and plywood.
- Its colour varies from dark chocolate brown to a pale brown making it attractive.
- Spotted gum timber cladding has insulating properties that make your home comfortable.
Is spotted gum timber good for decking?
Spotted gum is an ideal choice for decking and flooring. It is highly durable and with proper maintenance, it can last for more than forty years. It is hardwood and somewhat dense which makes it scratch resistant. It can also resist bushfire and as a result, has become a popular choice for people.
Is spotted gum timber cladding termite resistant?
Spotted gum is a natural termite resistant timber species. Harwood becomes harder with age and becomes a natural timber resistant. But it is recommended to get the timber termite treated every six to twelve months as moisture content and exposure to air can make even spotted gum timber cladding vulnerable.
Applications of spotted gum timber cladding supplies:
- Timber portal frames are a hot favourite for commercial and industrial buildings. Spotted gum timber portal frames offer a strong and superior structure.
- An effective deck must be able to cope with wear and tear. The natural strength and durability of spotted gum timber cladding make it a perfect choice for decking.
- Spotted gum timber mouldings are versatile and durable. They enhance the beauty of interiors.
- Spotted gum timber is the perfect choice for retaining wall landscaping because of its durability and moisture-proof qualities.
- The spotted gum timber cladding supplies are also used for the construction of interior and exterior stairs.
- The main disadvantage of spotted gum timber cladding is it is expensive.
- Spotted gum timber is not seasoned and can suffer corrosion.
- Spotted gum timber comes in long sheets making it difficult for construction.
- Spotted gum timber is very hard and requires pre-drilling.
The above article gives you an overview of spotted gum timber cladding supplies, its uses, disadvantages and applications. If you are planning to use spotted gum timber for your future construction purpose, you should find a reliable supplier.